General discussion and formation of teams

Number of replies: 11

In this forum you can search for team-mates for your Research project as well as post general comments, inquiries, and recommendations related to the whole course. 

Please, could you briefly answer the following questions?

1. What is your name, background, and interest?
2. Why did you enrol this course?
3. What research would you like to conduct in this course?

Thanks!

In reply to First post

Re: General discussion and formation of teams

by Kateryna Romanovska -
Hi, I`m Katia. I`m a graduate student in the Department of Musicology here, at Charles University. My reсent research was about the construction of queer utopia through music production in post-Maidan Ukraine, where I`ve analyzed audiovisual material of the Ukrainian band Lyudska Podoba (Human Shape). I would like to continue to work with queer and feminist perspectives in sound and music in my future research and that is actually the reason I`ve enrolled in this course. I`m looking forward to discover some more Eastern and Central European queer/feminist art scenes and to explore new/other tools of self-representation through art, methods of critical reflection, resistance and envisioning. As a potential topic for the final project I`m thinking about focusing on a short video of Ukrainian directress Oxana Kazmina, who in her work examines notions of identity, gender, body representations etc... but this is not an ultimate decision so I`ll be happy to extend my horizons.
In reply to First post

by Weronika Krzepicka-Kaszuba -
Hi y’all! My name is Weronika Krzepicka-Kaszuba (she/her), I’m Polish, but I live and study in the UK. My subjects of study are Film and Television, and Fine Arts. I’m particularly keen on photography, especially darkroom photography.
I chose this course because it is concerned with matters close to my heart and political views. I would love to expand my knowledge and learn about feminist and queer ideas conveyed through art.
I have some history with politically involved art in Central and Eastern Europe (I wrote a dissertation about it few years back), but not so much with the feminist aspect of it. I would love to research the notion of ‘a woman’ in art - what does it mean to be a woman? how does the social space look for women? can we even find a definition for ‘a woman’? etc. However, I’m open to collaborations and propositions.

Edit.: On second though I think that I might be even more interested in exploring 'the woman' and 'femininity' in context of current situation in Belarus. 
In reply to Weronika Krzepicka-Kaszuba

by Patricia Balaguer López -

Hello Weronika, I read your post and if you don't have teammates jet I would like to work with you. 

I'm Patricia and I'm from Spain, I study Art History there, and I'm here for erasmus; I'm really interested in films studies, so I found very interesting that this is one of your fields of study, and in the other hand I'm really interested in photography too, so when I read this I thought that it could be really nice to work with you. 

In relation with the questions that you exposed, I feel the same, I've been studying art history for three years already, and I feel like women are left out in relation with art in my experience, so I would love to look all this things out. 

And finally, you exposed the idea of Belarus, I don't have any idea of the situation in relation with women, so that could be an opportunity for me to get to know what's really happening with this aspects.

If you're interested you can text me or email me, +34661565867 or patbalag@ucm.es

Thanks and best regards,

Patricia. 

In reply to First post

by Matěj Hřib -
Hello! My name is Matěj. I did my bachelor's in Aesthetics at Faculty of Arts and now I am studying Semiotics at the Faculty of Humanities, both Charles University. Next to it, I am finishing the Prague Conservatory, I play the clarinet. In last few years, my focus moved from the "high culture" to the popular one and I am interested in queer representations in popular music, internet culture and film (I did "Queer cinema" course last semester.). Yet my "erudition" stays with the high culture, so I am also interested in overlaps, reflexions and the question if the distinction really matters any more.
For the project, I would be more interested in queer rather than general feminist perspectives, however I understand that those two are interconnected. I have a general knowledge of the czech contemporary queer art scene (and I would love to deepen it), but I would like to find the theme in discussion with other members of the team.
In reply to First post

by Diane Juliette Gabriel-Charmant -

Hi, I'm Diane! I am a second-year Erasmus student coming from France, where I study literature and political sciences. I love studying politics, sociology, history... I'm really interested in feminist and queer issues/works but I never had the opportunity to deeply study it. I also want to know more about Central and Eastern European works, points of view and culture, that's why I have chosen this particular course! I also enrolled this semester a course about gender history of the Soviet Union to extend my knowledge about the subject.

I don't have a specific wish of research for now, but we have chosen to form a team with 2 other students of the class : Céline DETAPPE and Agathe PAILLIER. We haven't chosen a concrete research topic for now, but we are working on it!

In reply to First post

by Maria Stefaniak -
Hello! I'm Maria.
I'm polish student from Wrocław city. I'm studying History of Art in Charles University, but also in Wrocław. I enroll to this course because I find this subject very interesting and very close to the current situation in Poland, which is quite controversial. In last semester in Poland I had classes according to queer and feminist art and I would like to learn more about it. I think that during this course, I would like to focus on the works of Marina Abramovic, but also polish artist like Maria Pinińska- Bereś, Katarzyna Kozyra, or Natalia LL and focus also on sculpture, performance, paintings.
As a topic to my final project, I'm thinking about focusing of the Natalia LL work called "sztuka konsumpcyjna".
In reply to Maria Stefaniak

by Anna Sýsová -
Hi Maria!
I find our interests to be quite similar to eachother so I wanted to ask you if you would perhaps be interested in working together on the Research Project? We could look deeper into some on Abramovic’s artworks, as her work interests both of us.
Or I would also love to learn more about Natalia LL, as of right now I know a little about her, but I find her work (Sztuka konsumpcyjna especially) to be artistically interesting, but also socially challenging not just in Poland (the „banana protests“) but in the Czech republic too, as her artworks were taken down in a Czech gallery due to being “controversial“, which rises a lot of questions...
If you’re interested in cooperating, please let me know (annasysova1@gmail.com). Thank You!
In reply to First post

by Anna Sýsová -
Hello everyone! My name is Anna, I’m in my first year of studies at Charles University in Prague where I study Art History. Simultaneously I started studying Theory of Interactive Media in Brno, where I became interested in Donna Harraway’s idea of female cyborg and other ways Feminism and Femininity become interconnected with the digital. I am generally interested in contemporary art and artists. So far I have made research and wrote a few texts about the work and life of Marina Abramovic, she has been a big source of inspiration to me. I enrolled in this course because I feel that the ideas of Feminism, Gender and Sexuality are crucial not only in the art world but in our everyday lives aswell (political, social aspects etc.). And I would love to extend my knowledge regarding these subjects, which I find is, despite my deep interest, still very limited.
In reply to First post

by Giulia Mattorre -
Hello everyone! My name is Giulia and I’m an Erasmus student from France, I’m in my third year of bachelor and I study Humanities (philosophy, history and literature) and this year I’m majoring in Literature (mostly French and francophone literature in my home university but here in Prague I had the chance to choose new courses in foreign literature). Last year I participate to a course in my home university about the stereotypes in gender and sexuality and with my team we decided to study double standards on social networks. I enrolled in this course because I had a brief overview of Judith Butler's studies so I was very curious to learn more about the feminist and queer theories. Also I think that art can offers different means to explore, share and educate on Feminism, Gender and Sexuality. For my project I was interested in the reaction of public opinion, media and government to queer and feminist artists and their works and how the issue of censorship is still problematic today for topics as important as those. For example: Yulia Tsvetkova, queer feminist artist arrested by the Russian authorities in 2019.
Also, I am in contact with an other student of this course, Adèle-Rose, and we’re still exchanging some ideas for the research project, so if any of you is interested in joining us you can contact us.
My email : giu.59@outlook.fr
In reply to First post

by Agathe Pailler -

Hi, my name is Agathe (she/her) and I am a second year student of literature and political science in Poitiers, France. I was very surprised when I saw this course because it brings together two subjects that are dear to me: feminism and queer theory and art! Moreover, the art is focused on Central and Eastern Europe, I knew very few artists from these regions before starting this course.
For the choice of the subject, it's complicated to choose among all the possible subjects. So with Celine Detappe and Diane Gabriel-Charmant we finally chose to analyse eroticism in feminist and queer art.

In reply to First post

by Céline Detappe -

Hello, my name is Céline, I am a French Erasmus student. I have been studying literature and political science for 2 years. I am interested in politics, cinema, dance and music.
I chose this course because I am really interested in feminism and cultural representation, how art can deconstruct gender and empower women. In France I was able to study Judith Butler but I didn't really have the opportunity to have other courses on feminism. This course allows me to discover the art and feminist vision of the eastern side of Europe that I don't know at all.

We form a group with Diane GABRIEL CHAMANT and Agathe PAILLER and we want to work on the reappropiation of eroticism in feminist art in Central and Eastern Europe.