Schrempp.week4

Schrempp.week4

autor Saskia Nora Schrempp -
Počet odpovědí: 3

(1) On what grounds have feminists critiqued Darwin’s theory of evolution? What kind of an approach to critique does Grosz suggest instead?

Darwins Theory is shaped by virtual ignorance and neglect. Darwin calls 'biology' the study of life, where the female gender and their processes have been untertaken (Grosz, 2005, p. 13f.).

The feminist also critiqued Darwin's theorie on the ground of the sexual selection, because he is reflecting the Victorian social norms, in whichthe female gender was dominiered over the male gender. This theory could show a more open position to females and could deal with both sexes. Darwin is saying that the male gender who triumph over the others will win more females and willbe more sucessful. That been said his theory of 'winners and losers' is sexist andbiased (Ebd., p.16f.). 

Grosz is saying that we have to criticize Darwin's theory on another level. Darwin is right about the winning of the fittest. His writings provide feminisim with richer and more workable concepts, which have been under the influence of the culture, the politics and the philosophy of all times. He is starting a new way of thinking (Ebd.,p. 13f.). The feminist is saying: 'Rather, we need to look at his texts with the desire to see what may be of value for providing feminist theory with richer and more subtle intellectual resources to both attain its aims and to refine its goals.' (Grosz, 2005)

(2) Describe the interrelated workings of the three principles of evolution that Grosz explicates from Darwin. What is the role of sexual or artificial selection in relation to, and as part of, natural selection? Does sexual selection mean that ‘culture’ is already part of nature?

The first basic is the individual variation which leads to diversity. It's the differences in character, the way of looking and other features which are random variationsand are really important for the natural selection (Grosz, 2005,p. 19).

Secondbasic is an invariable tendency to superabundance, which means the survival of the fittest. This doesn't mean, that all the weaker won'tbe able to survive, because it's possible that a more colorful bird is in a lot more danger to be eatenby it'senemy than a lighter colored bird. It's the elimination of the weaker and the trimuph of the richer and stronger. It's a more natural selection, so it can not be forced or determined in advance. Itleads to diversity as well.(Ebd.,p. 19ff.).

The last basic of Darwin's theory is the natural selection. It's the ''principle of perservation'', which means that this selection preserves only those variations that can viably function within it's parameters and conditions. The nature want to preserve the genes of the fittest, so that there can be more proliberation and more positive productivity (Ebd.,p. 21).

The natural selection is devided in the artifical and sexual selection. The sexual selection includes the preferences of the individuals, like race, colour, taste of choice. It represends the sexual appeal and the attractiveness of the individual. (Ebd.,p. 22ff.).It doesn't mean that culture is already part of the nature, because your desires and wishes of your partner are not included in your culture. It's the natural functioning of sexual appeal and aesthetics.

The artifical selection is the selection, which includes the selective breeding of life forms through human, which illustrates the natural. It's the subordination of it's forces and principals, which contain the selection. (Ebd.,p. 22).

(3) Discuss the analogies of ‘differences within’ in Foucault’s conception of power and resistance and Darwin’s conception of variation and natural selection.

Foucaults power concept of power and resistants signify that resistance ist generated by the forms and it needs power to be. The effects of resistance are vunerable, Darwin and Foucault think, that resistance is the foundation the hold of domination and the production of natural selection. The power to resistance is important to have the natural selection, which is important for the human being. Natrual selection is stoping over-population. (Grosz, 2005, p.29).

V odpovědi na Saskia Nora Schrempp

Re: Schrempp.week4

autor Dominika Benešová -

1) Very nicely written. Maybe there could be more specified what makes Darwin's theory valuable for feminism (e.g. the term "fittest" does not automatically refer to "strongest/masculine" etc., quite contrary, it is undetermined and changeable, which is something that feminism can work with.)

2) "Secondbasic is an invariable tendency to superabundance, which means the survival of the fittest. ... It's the elimination of the weaker and the triumph of the richer and stronger." I think this is a bit misleading. The tendency to superabundance leads to a struggle for existence, which is why fitness (i.e. possession of advantageous features etc.) is required to survive. Also, the advantageous features are constantly changing and so is the environment, therefore, I do not think it can be said that is is "richness or strength" specifically. 

"The natural selection is divided into artificial and sexual selection." This might also be misleading as it seems like these are the only components of natural selection, which is not true - I would say these two forms are rather its subbranches. 

3) You described the interrelatedness of power and resistance (dominance/subordination) well, even though I would amend some parts - e.g. I do not think that it is stated in the text that resistance would be the foundation for power (rather, as said, they are interconnected.)

V odpovědi na Dominika Benešová

Re: Schrempp.week4

autor Liya Ai -

I agree with the idea that “Darwin’s theory provide feminism with richer and more workable concepts”. If feminists can take advantage of his theory, then they can find a new way to solve problems. For the second question’s answer, I have a disagree point. I think natural functioning of sexual appeal and aesthetics are not only things that decide your desires and wishes of your partner. Culture can influence to your desires and wishes of your partner too. For the third question’s answer, I don’t think “Darwin and Foucault think that resistance is the foundation the hold of domination” is mentioned in the text, resistance and dominance are interconnected.