Week 4

Week 4

autor Ebenezer Osei-Owusu Acheaw -
Počet odpovědí: 4
  1. On what grounds have feminists critiqued Darwin’s theory of evolution? What

kind of an approach to critique does Grosz suggest instead?

Darwin's theory was biased the argument was based on the nature aspect of human existence ignoring all the other side of the human. “how biology, the bodily existence of individuals provides the conditions of culture and for history” (Grosz, 14). The focus was on the biological aspect of humans ignoring the cultural, political, social and historical side of humans. Biology determinism of humans has been the critique by most feminist especially those not into the biological field. The human environment comprises many other things apart from the physical body, the understanding of the environment which deals with culture, history will then be of no use at all to humans. It has helped feminists to have some rigor and depth the usefulness insight to the other side of life, which was Darwin reluctantly ignored, it was to project humans through the patriarchal category of humans from the biological nature perspective.

1. Describe the interrelated workings of the three principles of evolution that Grosz

explicates from Darwin. What is the role of sexual or artificial selection in relation to, and as part of, natural selection? Does sexual selection mean that ‘culture’ is already part of nature?

Darwin argues 3 principles about how the species are forced to evolve: individual variation, the heritability of the characteristics of individual variation that lead proliferation of species, natural selection (Grosz, 19). It means there is diversity in individuals' species character and features which will lead to proliferation. Proliferation might also lead to the same species but different characteristics and features that will compete for the natural selection due to random selection.

Secondly, the invariable tendency of superabundance, excessiveness, the generation of large numbers of individual. Due to proliferation, there will be differences in character and features which will make space species stronger than others, which will create a hostile environment. The negative tendency of the environment will create competition for limited resources. The stronger will survive. The final part is the “principle of preservation'', it preserves only those variations that can viably function within its parameters and conditions. Nature wants to preserve only the fittest, and it entails extinction, this extinction and has acted in world history. (Grosz, 21).  

1. Discuss the analogies of ‘differences within’ in Foucault’s conception of power and

resistance and Darwin’s conception of variation and natural selection.

Foucault’s power conception of power and resistance show that power and resistance should be individual choice. Power to individual species produces resistance. The effects of resistance are vulnerable, Darwin and Foucault believe that domination in the natural selection by dominate group produces subordinated group, so power to resist is important to have the natural selection for individual. (Grosz, 29).

V odpovědi na Ebenezer Osei-Owusu Acheaw

Re: Week 4

autor Liya Ai -

I agree with your idea that Grosz suggests feminists use Darwin’s theory to solve problems in a patriarchal society, and the idea that negative tendency of environment will create competition for limited resources. The stronger one can survive from sexual selection or natural selection because of their different feature or appearance. Being different from other same species could have a bad influence but not always. In addition, I think the idea “power and resistance should be an individual choice” is interesting. 

V odpovědi na Ebenezer Osei-Owusu Acheaw

autor Dominika Benešová -

In the first answer, I miss some mention of whether Darwin really ignored all the other sides of human existence besides biology and proposed an utterly deterministic theory. I also find some misconceptions in the second answer - mainly in the mention that the "stronger will survive", which I think is exactly the erroneous conception of Darwin's theory as Grosz explains in the text (the environment constantly changes, which means that the characteristics leading to survival change - it can not, therefore, be implied that it is always the (physical?) strength that leads to survival.) Also, the main analogy of Foucalt and Darwin's theory (the third answer) lies in something else than the idea that "power and resistance should be an individual choice" - I find the main analogy in the idea of constant transformation of power, dominance, and subordination, which means that dominance (as anything else, according to Darwin's theory,) is not pregiven. Also, the notion of "inherent productivity of the subordinated groups" is important and should probably be mentioned in the answer. 

V odpovědi na Dominika Benešová

autor Dagmar Lorenz - Meyer -

my comments to ebenezer and the commentators! please consider carefully - takes a lot of time.