Nicole

Nicole

autor Nicole Betkowská -
Počet odpovědí: 5

Keywords - The Silent Way

• the teacher is silent
  • using of colour-coded charts (Cuisenaire rods)
  • production
  • repetition
  • learner-centered
  • students are autonomous
V odpovědi na Nicole Betkowská

Re: Nicole

autor Tereza Velebilová -

Hello Nicole😊,

To talk about your keywords to this method, I agree with you about the coloured charts and I have it in my list of keywords too. I would also add there the discovering, nonverbal cues and the T using gestures which I find very important and specific to this method.

About the cons of this method, I forgot to write down the problems with reading and writing and I will add it to my sheet. I have the same minuses about time consuming and the need of smaller groups.

autor Anna Rakovanová -

Dear Nicole,

I really like your observation sheet because you included all the important principles and you described them very clearly and briefly. The table sums up the most important features of the method, which is great. I like that you included many points about the students – The Ss are autonomous, The Ss express what they want to express, The Ss should be encouraged etc. Thanks to that, the table accurately describes a typical role of the learner in this method. 

I agree with all the key words you mentioned. Maybe you can add gestures and functional vocabulary to your key words if you want to. 

In terms of the disadvantages, I really appreciate that you mentioned problems with reading and writing. As I already said to Áďa, I will add it to my sheet as well because I realized that it could be a possible drawback of the method. Thank you too.

I like that you consider the Ss express what they want to express to be one of the most positive features. 

V odpovědi na Anna Rakovanová

autor Nicole Betkowská -

Anička, 

thank you for your nice words. And also thank you for your keywords, which I will definitely add to my list, I agree with you about the gestures and functional vocabulary.

autor Natálie Morávková -

Dear Nicole,

your observation sheet includes all important principles which are typical for this method. Your points are clear and brief which makes it organized. 

I agree wih your key points but there are two things which I would add to your list - problem solving  and discovering. I think these terms are an integral part of this method. 

When we talk about the principles, I find them complete and I agree with all of them. I am glad that you mentioned that the students are autonomous which is very specific for the silent way. There is one poin which I have to add to my observation sheet - use of colour- coded charts that represent the sound and spelling of language and small, coloured, multi-lenght blocks of wood called Cuisenaire rods (originally designed for mathematics). I find this point very interesting.

Your points in pros and cons are almost similar as mine. Maybe I would add to cons that the students can loose their interest during the lesson and they will not know what to do (what they learn).

autor Veronika Šeborová -

Hello Nicole,

I appreciate the arrangement of your observation sheet as it is clearly and easily understandable.

I completely agree with all the keywords you have mentioned, and I would also include self-commitment of the Ss (silent awareness, active trial), cooperation, structural approach to the language, and functional frequent vocabulary.

The advantages and disadvantages you have written down are great. I would just add some more from my point of view.

The advantages, in my opinion, could also be: quality over quantity (which you have mentioned in your observation sheet, just not as an advantage), learning from each other,  motivation and cooperation, using of repeating structures, linguistic choices for the Ss and improvisation that should come from the Ss.

The disadvantages may also include that it can be sometimes hard to understand the teachers’ instructions without speaking. That the Ss need to be involved all the time and always thinking, which can be tiring for younger (maybe even the older) learners in the long term. I would probably also add that the Ss doesn’t have many ways to determine/perceive if their pronunciation is correct.

I would also like to ask... When you mention production in your keywords, how is it meant? You mean that the Ss are encouraged to produce as much language as possible, don't you?

Thank you for this helpful observation sheet and have a great week! 😊