Online learning

Online learning

autor Pavel Podrápský -
Počet odpovědí: 1

I think teaching in Czechia didn’t change in the last five or ten years. The covid pandemic brought a new problem into learning, however I don’t see any big reflection of this new reality in the Czech education system. The pandemic simply ended and the need for distance learning ended too. In my opinion, Czech education system right now is trying to modernise teaching and reflect the technology improvements, but it has no big effect in the end. I think the reasons for it are lack of finances, minimum interest of the department of education and in the end also teachers, who don’t like technology and on the other hand like the old and traditional way of teaching.

Previous paragraph sounds like I hate on the fact that we don’t have a distance learning, we don’t use modern technologies in lessons etc., however it is not true. My personal experience with distance learning wasn’t good. Firstly, I should say that I experienced the whole pandemic era on grammar school, so I have no idea about distance learning at university. When Covid started It was chaotic and it took about 3 moths for the first teachers to start with “online learning”. It had horrible form and my motivation, and motivation of my other classmates was on the lowest point. In the next years it became better, but it couldn’t be called modern. It was a normal lesson, just in Microsoft Teams, no interactive content or new ways of modern learning. After forced lockdown ended it brought only one new aspect into the classic teaching, teachers stopped using emails and started using big chat platforms to communicate assignments.

At this moment, I can say I luckily don’t have big amounts of online learning. How I said the previous paragraphs weren’t hate because my opinion is very similar to my high school teacher’s opinions. I don’t like modernity and technology, I prefer the traditional way of learning face to face, because to me online learning means isolation, decrease of motivation etc. But I think the way of combination online learning with the face to face could work and It’s the best way how to reflect the changes on the field of the technology improvements, but at the same time doesn’t destroy and affect humanity.

V odpovědi na Pavel Podrápský

Re: Online learning

autor Kateřina Kudrnová -
I am pretty sorry for those who did not have a good experience with online learning. I guess different schools had different goals and their way of achieving them. As a student at a business academy, I had to spend many hours doing homework I did not understand (because teachers supposed that we have unlimited free time) - a lot of subjects were based on “doing” (counting, writing…) rather than reading and memorizing facts. However, reading about Pavel’s experience made me realize that my situation was not bad.

I agree that if the teachers lack the motivation to use technologies and want to stick to traditional methods, the students cannot be expected to have a higher level of motivation. Because after all, a teacher is responsible for the student's understanding of the taught topic (some teachers at high school seemed to me like they wanted to somehow survive the lesson without doing much). So, a blended form could be a good compromise between traditional and online teaching/learning.