Natálie Kubincová

autor Natálie Kubincová -
Počet odpovědí: 10

key words are included in the observatiton sheet 

V odpovědi na Natálie Kubincová

Re: Natálie Kubincová

autor Tereza Velebilová -

Hello Naty,

I really like that you have included a brief summarization of the method in your observation sheet.

I can see there that you have mentioned some pros but only one cons. Do you think that there could be some other cons in this method?

You have mentioned the cons in nonverbal feedback which might be confusing. I have it more general in my observation sheet in the cons that the whole method can be demanding for young learners. What do you think about it?

To talk about the keywords, I agree with you about the discovery and quality over quantity. I would add to the list the importance of coloured rods or wall charts and I also think that the gestures of the teacher and non-verbal cues are very important.

It is interesting that the structure of your observation sheet is filled with “yeses”. It shows that you really found the most important points and principles which were present in the lesson. 😊

V odpovědi na Tereza Velebilová

Hello Terezka! :)

Firstly, I would like to thank you for your nice comments and advices! I really appreciate it! 

To talk about the cons, I have been thinking about it and I decided to add some cons to my observation sheet. For example that this method is criticized of being a harsh method, since the learners work with only a minimum help of the teacher and there is a lack of communication in the classroom. 

I definitely agree with you, that  this method is demanding for the students! 

Thank you again! :)

autor Anna Rakovanová -

Dear Naty, 

I like that your observation sheet is clearly arranged. You included the most important principles in the table, I appreciate you mentioned Focusing on words that are frequent (function words). 

In terms of key words, I agree with Terka. I would also add gestures and coloured rods. What I actually miss the most is the word silence. For me, function words is one of the key words of this method as well (you included it in the table, which is great). 

The principle Problem solving isn’t ticked. Do you think that the activities in the lesson didn’t really require us to solve “a problem”? 

In terms of the advantages and disadvantages, I appreciate that you mentioned the focus on frequent chunks and words. I consider it a typical feature of the method as well since sentence is the basic unit. I agree with you that the nonverbal feedback might be confusing, for me this method has got several different drawbacks though. 

V odpovědi na Anna Rakovanová

Hello Anička:)

Thank you a lot for your comments! 

I have added those keywords to my observation sheet, thank you for reminding me of them.

Actually I think, that we were solving problems, I have already tick that column out. 

And about your point about advantages and disadvantages, I have already wrote down some more disadvantages. For example, that it is time consuming, or that the children might have a problem with grammar. 

autor Natálie Morávková -

Dear Naty,

I find your observation sheet well organized, it is brief and clear. I like the introduction of this method at the top of your observation sheet. It makes me keep reading it all. 

When I look at your list of key words, I have to say that are almost similar as my key words. Maybe you should add two important things to your list of keywords - teacher is silent and problem solving, but you've got it in principles. 

I think that your list of principles is complete. I see that there two empty boxes in the middle column. Do you think that we do not solve any problem? 

Your points about pros and cons in the chart really inspires because you can see immediately that this principle is an advantage or disadvantage. I would add one point to cons - that this methos is really time consuming.

V odpovědi na Natálie Morávková

Hello Naty, 

Thank you for your comments and advices! 

I have already added those key words to my observation sheet, after reading Anička's  comments, but thank you anyway, now I can see, that it was really missing there! 

Actually I think, that we were solving problems, so I am ticking it out.

autor Martin Tvrdík -

Hello Naty

I think that your observation sheet is really well structured and clear. I like that you widened the table and added plusses and cons.

You’ve mentioned inductive learning like that the Imitation and drill are not the primary means, students are motivated to speak and that students speak about themselves involving their expressions which encourage them to speak more fluent and with ease with this connects what you’ve also said that whole method is student-centred.

I think that you’ve mentioned the silence in the introduction but It could be more involved in the sheet and worked with. When you’ve sad that the teacher is silent, not only for creating motivation but also for giving space to children, to make them the actors.
I think that in +/- of translation could also be more stressed that students don’t have to translate through the mother tongue and that focus is on meaning through the frequent/function words.

It would be great if you added some teaching aids to the list and Cuisenaire rods, which help to convey the meaning which students derive by themselves.

I wrote some more info, but almost everyone can find something in everything.

All in all, you made some good points.

autor Kateřina Kryllová -

Naty,

I'm next in the row to praise the structure of your observation sheet. The idea of having pros and cons right next to the principles is very good and makes everything very clear and understandable. I like it very much.

While reading through your sheet I realized I have an important principle missing in my observation sheet. It is the principle of focusing on the form of language. I realized that when I was reading through your comments about functional words and choosing linguistic way. What I also added to my list is the nonverbal feedback. I somehow forgot to write that down. So thank you for enriching my observation sheet. 

I agree with the previous comments about adding problem-solving, teacher's silence and pronunciation charts to your list of key words. I believe those are very typical for The Silent Way. But I can see "problem-solving" behind your word "discovery". So you might just have the same principle named differently. Mine key words also include words like "cooperation rather than competition", "vocabulary", "self-correction". Just in case you wanted to compare our key words :)

One of the advantages you have in your list says that "Ss have a lot of space to talk and communicate with others". That doesn't include communication with the T since he should be as silent as possible. Can you think of any disadvantages of not including the T as an active participant in the conversation? 

Thank you for the opportunity to see your observation sheet! :)

Kačí

V odpovědi na Kateřina Kryllová

Hello Kačí! 

Thank you so much for all your nice comments and advances! I am glad that it helped you too. 

Thanks for adding your key words, I will fill my observation sheet with those:)

One big disadvantage I find in this method is, that since the students talk rather to each other, than to the teacher, they can make so many mistakes and do not use grammar correctly, which then could be hard to re-teach them.