Notes on Stein and Hemingway (Kopecká, Uřídilová, Raková, Tobiáš, Voříšková)

Notes on Stein and Hemingway (Kopecká, Uřídilová, Raková, Tobiáš, Voříšková)

autor Hana Tobiášová -
Počet odpovědí: 1

- short sentences with many parallelisms

- no concrete information, very abstract

- starts with a man, then actually speaking about Ada, who is his sister – makes her seem like a side character

- non-chronological narrative

- repetitions – means of saying a lot but actually saying nothing

- she was inspired by Picasso and cubism, and she may be using some patterns of this style in her literary works + automative writing + the story is abstract - she paints an abstract picture with words

- as in a painting, she stresses some words in some parts of the story – living, loving, everyone etc. – instead of hiding it, she shows it very explicitly and even repeats it

- there is no plot, there are just a some events, that happen, mostly independently of each other – they do not follow up

- Compared to The Other Two: Social judgment is absent in Stein’s writing, so the reader is given the power to decide how to think and feel about the writing. Anxiety, fear, and anger are also absent, and her work is harmonic and integrative. Rather than the emotional manipulation that is a characteristic of linear writing, Stein uses play

Hemingway

- the exact opposite of “show, don’t tell” – the language is not complicated, she shows us what Liz thinks for example of what the soldier thinks – the thought process, Stein just describes what happens, what are some characters like – just a plain description, Hemingway lets you feel the emotions of the main character

- reads like a children's story (obviously, it is not for children thematically – war and depression and sex)

- first story mostly optimistic, second one dark from start to finish

- more concrete compared to Stein

V odpovědi na Hana Tobiášová

Re: Notes on Stein and Hemingway (Kopecká, Uřídilová, Raková, Tobiáš, Voříšková)

autor Eva Kalivodová -
On Stein: I like the reflection on Stein´s inspiration by cubism (which was real) - Ada as an abstract painting in words; also the stresses upon some words=notions are pointed out well. The open-ended effect of Stein´s writing that you mention, and her "play" - very important! I hope that other contributions in the forum may offer more for your reception of Ada.

On Hemingway: definitely more concrete than Stein, I agree that the stories are telling, not showing (nice refelction). However, "reads like a chidren´s story" sounds surprising but not uninteresting - must be based in reading fiction much more contemporary? or older? would need explanation... I wonder if this is a collective opinion.