week 7: Confessio Amantis - the framework

week 7: Confessio Amantis - the framework

Number of replies: 14

For the purposes of the forum, I would like to ask you just for brief initial impressions concerning the combination of the "commentary on the state of the world" in the Prologue and the traditional dream vision frame opening. How do they fit together?

In the session, we will start with a discussion of Gower's "cultural" adaptation of the original tale. We have noted the aspects in which the Latin narrative resonates with some dominant plot patterns of romance, as well as those that make it potentially unpromising as "romance material". Does Gower make any steps towards a "romancing" of his material (expand on the observations you have made on the previous "assignment")?
Next, we will connect our observations on Gower's reshaping of the tale for a specific message with the framework in which he places the tale.

In reply to First post

Re: week 7: Confessio Amantis - the framework

by Timotej Lauko -

The Prologue sets up Love as the leading principle, from which stems the order of the world. When people stray from it (or its proper form), everything goes awry. Gower prays to God for love (and therefore order) to return among the humankind. The opening sequence then proceeds to show us Love as an organised religion (I wonder what Jiří has to say about this) and sets up the later explanation of rules of Love; I assume these are what the humankind ceased to heed in the Prologue - either too little love, or too much of it.

I hope my reading was correct and the appearance of Venus and Cupid is the dream sequence in question. I could not help remembering other occasions of  dreaming in (pre-)medieval literature - to my knowledge it usually leads to the revelation of certain (religious or philosophical) truths. Since I have already commented on Love being a religion, I am assuming this is the case as well.

In reply to Timotej Lauko

by Jiří Chytrý -
Thank you very much for mentioning the whole "love as a religion" thing, you saved me some work, Timotej. To be frank, the whole idea of love as a "religion" is a gordian knot, which we might not be able to untagle here. But, for start, we might talk about two possible ways how to look at it. On the one hand, there is something purpusefully trangressive in Love borrowing so much from religious discourse and symbolism, in the profane infringing on the territory of the sacred. On the other, it might simply be the result of Gower drawing from Ovid, who proclaimed himself the chief priest of Love (Cupid), a gesture that was not so bold, or at least not for the same reasons, in ancient pagan Rome. After all, one such priest, who might be Ovid himself, appears in the dream vision. It might, indeed, be that the discourse of Medieval Christianity was the only avaible parallel Gower and others had for describing any "honourable" religious order, how they imagined Ovid's priesthood looked. It is perhaps also important to mention that Ovid originally based his discourse of love and the whole idea of service of love on borrowing from military discourse, which was associated with the cultural elite in Rome: in this, even the first gesture can be read as imitation of Ovid. 
In reply to Jiří Chytrý

by Helena Znojemská -
The two options you mention are both relevant. In some ways Genius, the priest of love, is more like a Christian priest than we would expect him to be, and this would support the second option (after all, Apollonius' wife's becoming a votary of Diana looks exactly as if she were a nun entering a monastery). But playing with the transgressive dimension is undoubtedly present in the tension between the "blind love" and its "systematization' as religion.
In reply to Timotej Lauko

by Helena Znojemská -
All your points are pertinent, but there is a bit of a problem in your trying to harmonize them. If the Prologue makes love a source of order in the world, and looks to (the Christian) God, the beginning of Book I seems to leave that behind: even though the world depends on love, "Love's law is out of rule/order"; and the authorities invoked here are Venus and Cupid. So either what follows should prove the speaker wrong - there are rules to love which the Priest proceeds to teach him - or the point will be about proper forms of love, which need not be those presided over by the pagan deities.
Your point about the dream vision is correct.
In reply to First post

by Jiří Chytrý -
Dream visions and revelations should normally belong to God alone and Love is infringing on his territory here. Still, it is not uncommon in medieval literature, for Venus and Cupid especially, to be the sources of dreams, think of Chaucer's Parlement of Foules or of Colonna's Hypnoerotomachia (there is, of course, precedence for such an encounter in Ovid as well, he seems to be conversing with Love and Venus freely in his works, but, in his cases, those are not dreams). To think of revelation when talking dream visions is certainly the right call, but I would also like to stress their transformative character (which for example in Chaucer can be missing for ironic purposes). Someone who has just had a dream encounter with death, awakens to his former life a changed man, bent on mending his ways and seeking the better life (think of Dante or Master Polikarp). From the whole structure of Gower's vision, being a confession, evoking likewise the last rites, I think it is safe to assume that a spiritually transformative experience is here likewise the object.
In reply to Jiří Chytrý

by Helena Znojemská -
Actually, dream visions have a privileged connection with matters of love in medieval literature, however odd it may seem - a fact that goes back to your previous commentary on love as religion.
In reply to First post

by Veronika Šteflová -
The significance of Love was already discussed by Timotej and I could not agree more. I am going to add to that. Besides Love, I, personally, read it as a "the present vs. the past" lamentation. Gower uses the "then" multiple times. He stressed that in the good old days people (who deserved it, there still is a kind of moral approach) were wealthy, healthy, fortunate, loving. He keeps reminiscing, and compares his idea of the past to the present:
(The world has altered utterly,
And in one way especially:
Love has grown all discordant now.)
Also, there is a sense of wanting to bring the past virtues back. To live it in the present. This is why I used "lamentation." I could not help it, but while reading I was getting a sense that he wants to communicate that it is best to bring the past back, otherwise...
In reply to Veronika Šteflová

by Helena Znojemská -
The situation is curious in that Gower starts with that "rememberance of times past", lamenting the currents state of things and admonishing his contemporaries, but then says "these matters are too weighty for me," so "now for something completely different" - the love we all know (i.e. not the love that is missing from our world?). It just seems such a curious detour to make, if indeed the two matters are so distinct as the narrator makes them appear. This is something we should look into - what may the contrast be good for.
In reply to First post

by Adéla Chvátalová -
I completely agree with Veronika and I can see that according to Gower the past was better than the present. He keeps stressing that love was somewhat better in the past:

Then love was safe from jealousy;
Then virtue was prized royally,
And vice was trampled underfoot.

When I first read it I found interesting that Gower decided to include Venus and Cupid, Greek gods, because the whole sequence has a Christian undertone especially because Gower puts an emphasis on the vices and sins. Even the title itself "Confessio Amatis" possibly refers to a Christian confession because later in the text the narrator meets a (likely Christian) priest:

At once I lifted up my head,
And there beheld him as he came -
That priest whom she had called by name.
He sat down, ready to confess me;
And, first of all, began to bless me.
In reply to Adéla Chvátalová

by Helena Znojemská -
I have already touched on this (and so did Jiří). There is more to the confession scheme than just applying forms of Christianity to the religion of love.
In reply to First post

by Vojtěch Ripl -
I would most definitely agree with what has been said, both with the "golden age" past and the religion of love are clearly visible. Not to reiterate what has been said, I would perhaps point to two very minor interesting things. First is something that brought me back slightly to Ywain and that are some of the lines which mention that in the better past, truthfulness reigned while in the contemporary present it is deceit that is everywhere, he of course shifts the focus of the opening to love, but the connection of these two aspects, along with Venus later warning the poet to be truthful in his plight in love, bring up the rhetoric of love in the original Ywain.
Second thing that sprang to my mind is perhaps connected to what I read in Gaunt's text and it has to do with the clerical narrator of romances. Am I understanding correctly that it is the priest that is introduced in the dream vision that later recounts the story of Apollonius ? If so, it would be an interesting way to introduce the clerical narrator into the story. Although I don't feel like the ironic division between the narrator and the hero is explored much, so this might not be the case.
In reply to Vojtěch Ripl

by Helena Znojemská -
That's a good point for investigation - whether the narrator shows any degree of detachment or attitude-taking to his protagonists. I haven't thought about that, frankly, but its worth looking into. Thanks!
In reply to First post

by Štěpán Rybák -
I do definitely agree with my colleagues that in the prologue, love is presented as a sort of religious matter with Cupid and Venus portrayed as its gods. I would like to elaborate on this matter further, yet from a different point of view.
My efforts were at finding any consistency between the three respective parts of the introduction (the general lamentation over how spoilt the contemporary epoch is, the veneration of God, and the dream-like debate with Venus and the priest). As I perceive it, these three sections convey very distinct messages, however, there is one narratorial image that remains stable. It is the role of Love as the supreme, but impartial judge that is portrayed coherently throughout the whole passage. In the first section, the narrator characterises the lost golden age as one in which “law and justice were secure” (l. 102) which is not the case for current state of affairs because of “by hate, not love, are laws decided” (l. 128). The “Love’s orderly estate” (l. 148) is broken, because Love has ceased to be the law and the judge. I believe that when the narrator states explicitly in the second part that God shall “bring back Love back to us again” (l. 185), he means not only the courteous behaviour and perception of the feeling, but also a positively defined organisation of society.
I would probably also argue that it is this perception of Love as the law and judge that creates a strong parallel between Christ and Love which is especially noteworthy in the last part. Lines like “There are too many of you / Pretenders: if so be thou too / Pretendest, and be such a one, / Count well the service thou hast done.” (l. 174-178) may be hardly denied the potential of recalling God of the Last Judgement. So, Love is not only a religion, but it is also a religion (un)surprisingly resembling Christian belief, at least in the aspect of justice.
In reply to Štěpán Rybák

by Helena Znojemská -
That's a good observation, though there are some passages that pose a problem for making a smooth connection between the Love of the Prologue and the Love of the Intro. Even the one you've quoted is immediately put in perspective by the speaker's claim that Venus knew full well that he wasn't pretending. Similarly, the speaker also claims in the Intro that the rulings of Love follow no order (out of reule, l. 18). So, either there is a problem with this love or with the speaker...