Adéla

Adéla

от Adéla Nosálová -
Количество ответов: 6
В ответ на Adéla Nosálová

Re: Adéla

от Eva Neuhöferová -

Dear Adélka :-),

I like your observation sheet very much! I see lots of work behind it.

Your keywords are almost similar to mine - I appreciate this one: nonverbal feedback and I´m going to add it on my list as well. 

I have a question: Better concentration because of silence? I probably see your point, but can you explain it, please? It might be true, but I would say that too much silence can create a strange atmosphere in the classroom.

And I like these points very much: The T checks in individually with students who need it from time to time, to make sure that they are okay. The T can schedule regular meeting times with Ss, or check in discreetly during class. This will help them feel more confident about their progress.

В ответ на Eva Neuhöferová

от Adéla Nosálová -

Hello Evička,

thank you for kind reflection. 

I would like to answer your question. I believe that silence can be super productive environment. We are constantly surrounded by noises and distractions but in silence we can come up with new ideas and maybe focus more. I can see it in my class when it is quiet moment and kids deeply focus on something. Of course that the silence can change to something awkward and noncomforming. I am not so quiet teacher, I have to force myself to close my mouth and that is the reason I choose this specific remark to be in my observation sheet. Because I need to remind myself about it.

I hope that it is clear right now. Thank you for this question because I had to explain myself and focus on it and actually I will try it tomorrow.

Adéla

от Anna Rakovanová -

Dear Áďa, 

I really like your observation sheet as a whole. It represents the method accurately and describes it in detail because you also included the basic information. 

I agree with all the key words, you mentioned all the important ones, including the way of teaching grammar – inductive, which is great. I also like that you consider concentration to be one of the important features of the method. Maybe you can add functional vocabulary if you want to. 

I appreciate that you included: The sentence is the basic unit in the principles, I find it an important feature of the method too. The principle Ss feel that it is safe to make mistakes, a necessary step in language learning is another one that caught my attention. 

In terms of the disadvantages, I especially appreciate that you mentioned There could be problems with reading and writing. I will add it to my sheet as well because I realized that it could be a possible drawback of the method. Thank you.

В ответ на Anna Rakovanová

от Adéla Nosálová -

Hello Anička,

thank you for your nice response. I am so glad that you like it and that you will use some of my points in your observation sheet. 

Functional vocabulary is great key word. And it is also really important because I remember that during my english studies in elementary school, we learned a lot of useless vocabulary that can be used just once in a lifetime. I believe that we should teach elementary kids some basic everyday english and on high school or university they will learn some specific vocabulary that will be important and benefitial for them. I will definitely put it on my list.

Adéla

от Natálie Morávková -

Dear Áďa,

your observation sheet inspires me in many ways. It is very comprehensive but on the other hand it is well structured and you have named all the sections. I really appreciate how you divided these sections. It makes the whole observation sheet very professionall. 

The basic words at the beginning of the sheet are inspirational and you can imagine how the whole method will look like. I find this point interesting- silence make students to concentrate on what is to be learned. I must admit that I have never thought about the advantages of silence during the lesson. 

I think that your list of key words is complete and there is nothing what I will add. Every important point is mentioned. There are some principles in your observation sheet that I have to add to my sheet, for example that the teacher emphasizes quality rather than quantity. It is such a good point and I forgot to write it down. 

When I look at your list of pros and cons, I would add maybe one thing - the students loose their interest during the lesson. You said that for the teacher could be difficult to be quiet. Why do you think so? I would like to know your opinion.

В ответ на Natálie Morávková

от Adéla Nosálová -

Hello Natálka,

I totaly agree with your point about Ss. They can very easily loose the interest during the lesson when there is too much silence. Few years ago I thought that it is important to amuse them steadily. Right now I am finding out that it is benefitial to give them few minutes during the lesson to think about english or share some thoughts that come through their minds. It is always great to let them speak (although it is not always in english :-/ especially when you give them too much space). Also when there is a lot of silence, you can loose them or it can create an awkward and unpleasant situation. I think that we should find out how much silence is good. Because there should be some balance.

The quiet time is super difficult for me. That is the reason I put it on my list because sometimes I have to force myself to close my mouth and let the kids think about something. Sometimes I talk a lot, it is usually when I am nervous or stressed about something. I hope that once I will learn how to settle with it and be ok with quiet time.

Adéla