Notes - Borová, Černohorská, Hejnicová, Thao My Vuong, Špetová, Valachovičová

Notes - Borová, Černohorská, Hejnicová, Thao My Vuong, Špetová, Valachovičová

autor Lucie Špetová -
Počet odpovědí: 1

Life along Mississippi

• typical Southern society
  • institutionalized racism
  • abusive alcoholic father
  • the area is full of problems and troubles, Huck and Jim find some sort of safe space and freedom on the Mississippi river itself

2 main characters – both of them trying to set themselves free

Huck is a young boy who comes from a poor background - his father is always neglecting or beating him. Huck is trying to break free from his father, but also from all the other adults who think they have the right to civilize him and determine the direction his life will take.

Jim is a fairly obedient slave who decides to run away when he hears his owner wants to sell him to a plantation where he would live in harsh conditions and be separated from his family.

• Point of view
We see the story and the real world through the eyes of a young boy, Huck. He experiences huge inner conflict throughout the work. On one side are the views that civilized society has tried to educate him to; on the other are his own convictions, innocent observations and his own good heart.
Huck always tries to look at things the way he is expected to, the way he was taught. But in the end, through his fragility and honesty, we see how absurd society's beliefs are. Huck shows us through his perspective that a slave can be much more moral and good-hearted than a white man.

(Dodatečně upravil/-a: Ludmila Valachovičová; čas vložení původního příspěvku: Úterý, 14. března 2023, 09.52)

V odpovědi na Lucie Špetová

Re: Notes - Borová, Černohorská, Hejnicová, Thao My Vuong, Špetová, Valachovičová

autor Eva Kalivodová -
- "Huck and Jim find some sort of safe space and freedom on the Mississippi river itself": yes, it is very important
- "Huck shows us through his perspective that a slave can be much more moral and good-hearted than a white man." - very important observation.
E.K.